|South African Rand
|R10, R20, R50, R100, R200
|10c, 20c, 50c, R1, R2, R5
|Three-course meal for 2, mid-range restaurant
|One-way ticket for local transport
|Bottle of water
Some tips to be ready!
1. Be smart about your safety. Although crime rates against tourists are relatively low, that does not mean you should let your guard down while overseas. As long as you don’t expose jewellery or wear “show off” clothes in the wrong places you will be perfectly fine. It is also advised that you always take an uber when travelling at night, as walking the streets after dark could prove dangerous. Always ask a local or your hotel staff about any unsafe areas.
2. Be mindful of tipping etiquette. Tipping 10-15% of the bill in restaurants is common practice in South Africa. At bars, many people usually leave a few rand for the bartender to demonstrate an appreciation for their service. Tipping your uber drivers, hotel staff or guides always goes a long way in showing your gratitude.
3. If you hire a car, be prepared for the country’s car guards. Unemployment rates in South Africa are quite high and many people work by watching over cars to prevent theft and break-ins. Even if you don’t specifically ask, many people will act as a car guard and watch over your car while you are away. This is a job for many people so they will likely charge you a few rand (2-10 ZAR) afterwards!
4. Drink the tap water and help reduce plastic pollution. South Africa boasts some of the cleanest tap water in the world and is perfectly fine to drink in most areas of the country. Simply refill your water bottle everytime you go out! Rural areas and drought-struck areas are the only exception, in which case, it is safer to bring pre-bottled water.
5. Keep a decent amount of physical cash on you. Although many places accept credit cards, cash is king in South Africa and you will find that keeping at least some of it on you at any given time will help you a lot.
6. Use uber instead of conventional taxis. Uber in South Africa is very efficient, reliable and convenient and is one of the cheapest modes of transport. Furthermore, since Uber performs background checks on all of their drivers, it ensures that your transport is legitimate.